Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:12:21 +0200
From:      Claus Guttesen <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new to amd64

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0After years using i386, I finally installed amd64 and
> ... everything is just like I fondly remember. =A0 :-)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Thanks to all those who have made that happen.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0However, I'm still a little nervous about the things I don=
't
> know yet. =A0I'm about to build a custom kernel; would someone please
> take a look at the config file (appended) and tell me if there's
> anything I've added, or left out, that's going to break something?

I used to custombuild my kernels some years ago. When I look back I
did not achieve much, especially not compared to the time spend
commenting out features. And I think I did it because "I can". And a
postgresql-server needed some tuning. The settings I changed/added are
tunable via /etc/sysctl.conf or /boot/loader.conf.

So unless your kernel is build with limited memory (guess not) or you
really need a handcrafted kernel it's not worth it except you get some
knowledge of what goes into a kernel-configuration.

Try to compile your kernel and reboot. If it boots, nice. :-) If not,
you can alway unload the kernel at the boot prompt and load
/boot/kernel.old/kernel and get back to a working kernel.

Good luck.

--=20
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare