Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:16:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      sigma@mcs.com (Kevin Martin)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RTM_LOSING "Kernel suspects partitioning"

I have FreeBSD running on a Pentium-120, 128Mb RAM, SMC NIC (de0), with
over two hundred virtual domains.  A while ago, we were having unusual
network storms, and I did lots of experimentation with the virtual domain
set up to see if it was related.  In the end, I changed so many things
(eliminating the specific "route add" commands, for example), that I'm not
sure exactly what has cleared up the problem.

But in any case, I saw at the time, and have continued to see, this message
on "route -n monitor":

RTM_LOSING: Kernel Suspects Partitioning: len 124, pid: 0, seq 0, errno 0,
flags:<UP,GATEWAY,HOST,DONE>
locks:  inits:
sockaddrs: <DST,GATEWAY>

Followed by IP addresses of the remote and the local host.  This seems to
happen for *any* connection to the machines, so there are a lot of these
messages.

I looked through the source, a few books, and on the net, but I can't find
the meaning of this.  Does it represent a problem?  It seems to.

I think the thing that actually fixed the network hangs was increasing
NMBCLUSTERS to 4096; there were occasional "mb_map full" messages before
that.

Please reply by e-mail, I'll summarize later.

Thanks,
Kevin Martin
sigma@mcs.com