Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 10:15:01 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft "Get ISDN"?

> >> 3. They require to be connected by an async line.  Considering that
> >> 128 kb/s ISDN translates to 160 kb/s async, it's evident that
> >> you can't keep up the same speed.  In addition, conventional "El
> >> Cheapo" serial interfaces lose data at this speed.
> >
> > True (well, I haven't seen lossage using 16550's, but anyone using 16450's
> > deserves what they get).
>
> I think you would do at 160 kb/s.

     Just as a data point, an Ascend P50 can transfer a 518694-byte
/etc/hosts file in 12 seconds, for around 42Kbytes/sec (*bytes*, not
*bits*).  This is, of course, being done with compression in the P50.

     Somehow, I just can't see *ANY* serial-line-based ISDN modem
handling this kind of speed.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.