Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:54:09 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: auto relaying for subdomains -- why?

Igor Podlesny wrote:
> I  noticed  that  some  mailers (sendmail, postfix) in case they allow
> relaying    for    somedomain.zone    also    allow    relaying    for
> subdomain-of.somedomain.zone.
>
> I can accept this as reasonable behavior but would like to know how to
> deny it! :) Also I wish to know what was the actual idea behind this?

Sendmail does _not_ do this by default; you have to specifically
allow it by adding entries to your M4 file from which you build
your sendmail.cf.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that you enabled the domain via a
sendmail.cw file, rather than a virtusertable, or by setting
yourself up as a promiscuous relay.

-- Terry