Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:08:26 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Just installed 3.1R

Hey all,
  I just got finished installing 3.1R on my machine.  However, when I
rebooted, the system did not come back up as it should have.  After much
messing around, and after numerous tries with the fixit floppy, I finally
found the Label editor and wrote the parition table on my drive.  The
symptoms of my problem were/are:

1)  On boot, I select FreeBSD (F2)
2)  It won't boot automagically
3)  I have to put 0:wd(2,e)/kernel in every time

  I didn't realize this little mixup until after I rebooted.  IT seems that
during the system installation, the foot partition got put on /dev/wd0s2e??
 Isn't this normally the /var partition?  Anyway, I can now boot the system
(although it rebooted on me the first time booting after building a custom
kernel.).  However, having to be there sitting in front of the machine all
the time is unacceptable.  Is their a way to change the Boot Loader to load
the correct kernel, or to at least look on the correct partition?

Thanks,
Ben
  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant