Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:52:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Protius <protius@teryx.bobdbob.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bktr driver difficulty

I have written a video capture program which uses the syncronous capture
mode on a BT848 card.  I called it "videocat", and its was originaly
developed with FreeBSD 3.3, and everything was more or less happy.
Unfortunately when I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.1-Stable, it broke.

My hardware is:
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xfebfe000-0xfebfefff irq 16 at device 16.0 on pci0
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 61291 D110
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, remote control.

The problem is:  bktr dosn't seem to send the per-frame signal when I
have it set to just give me one field of the video.  (I'm digitizing at
1/4 screen resolution, so I only want one field).  When I tell it to get
both fields, then the signal is delivered.  Unfortunately when its in
both-fields mode and I ask for 352x240 (or 320x240) it only gives me about
3/4 of the image, stretched verticaly.  When I ask for 640x480 the signal
is again not delivered.

fxtv, and another program I wrote which is similar to fxtv, work fine.
But then they use the "gimmie a frame now" API, not the syncronous one.
They also use RGB format, while videocat uses YUV-422.

I've stared at the bktr sourcecode, with no luck...
Am I missing something obvious?   Please Help...

My program can be found at
http://www.bobdbob.com/~protius/software/video.tgz.  Its pretty much a
BSD license, if anyone actualy wants to use it.

-Tommy     "Are you alright?"  "I am allergic to steel."
protius@bobdbob.com
KE4ILZ