Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 03:06:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   screen snaps for syscons & pcvt

I mentioned this project a long time ago (sometime last spring/summer,
I think), but I thought I would give it another try.

I want to add a print screen interface to syscons and pcvt.
When I last mentioned this, the discussion degraded down to "well,
SCO did things a different way, and since syscons consoles are SCO
type consoles, it should probably be compatible with how they did things".
or "you should do it via escape sequences", etc.

I don't care.  I just want something nice and simple where I can hit
shift+print_screen and get a printed copy of my current screen.  I'm sure
that 90% of the FreeBSD user base would be more than happy with that.
If someone can show me a *REAL* need for something beyond that, I'll
consider it.

I just got my changes working with -current again, and the way
things basically work is this:

A program called "prntscreend" sits out there doing a select
on /dev/screen (new device) waiting for a wakeup that is done
anytime the print screen function is activatived via the
keyboard.  By default it is shift+print_screen.  This can be
changed with the keyboard maps.  When the daemon wakes up, it
issues a read on /dev/screen to obtain the contents of the
current console screen.  This will work even if you are scrolled
back in the console window.  The contents are then piped out
to lpr (command & arguments selectable via /etc/sysconfig, or
totally disabled via /etc/sysconfig).  The kernel parts of
the /dev/screen interface are basically slightly modified versions
of the /dev/log interface.

Now, if someone comes up with a good reason why each different
virtual console should have a different processing program (e.g.
you want to hook vty0 to prntscreend, but you want vty1 hooked
up to xyzzyd), I can probably do that without too much trouble.
But, like I said, I think that 90% of the people using FreeBSD would
be more than happy with the simple ability to just take plain
old screen snaps of the current console screen, just like you
can under lowly MS-DOS.

If there aren't any strong objections, I would like to just go ahead and
commit this code after having someone review it.  If at some later date
someone comes up with a valid need for something more complex out of this
interface, I'll deal with it that time.  It took almost no time to
get it working, so if at a later time it needs to be thrown out
to support something more advanced, it will not be a big deal.

Comments?
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@mpp.minn.net