Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 12:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/18569: tool source not installed

The following reply was made to PR conf/18569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To: Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc: Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:29:51 -0700

 Doug Barton wrote:

 >         I stand corrected. src/tools/install.sh is indeed called by
 > Makefile.inc1. My understanding is that the stuff in the tools directory
 > should never be mandatory, so Marcel, could you take a look at this? I
 > of course may be wrong about this too. :)

 I don't know anything about the "non-mandatory status" of the tools
 subdirectory. Can you give me a pointer?

 The purpose of install.sh is to allow non-root builds. It only filters
 some arguments that prevent non-root builds. You can therefore safely
 override using install.sh by defining INSTALL in /etc/make.conf (eg:
 INSTALL=/usr/bin/install). You may need to undefine it first, but I
 haven't verified that...

 HTH,

 --
 Marcel Moolenaar