Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 23:55:00 GMT
From:      James Raynard <jraynard@dial.pipex.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flaws in system() implementation?

> >Actually I was thinking about a "project" that I can do on 2.1.0-R
> >code (I don't think I can afford the phone bills involved in running
> >-current) and trying to make things like signal-handling in libc more
> >Posix-compliant seems like a good one to start with.
>
> >Any objections and/or pitfalls if I do this?
>
> Keep up with -current enough to avoid re-doing things (unless you're
> just doing them for educational purposes).  I just checked the NetBSD

Doing this certainly would be educational, but it would be nice if it
could be useful to the FreeBSD project (giving something back and all
that). I may yet give -current a shot, if I can get my system backed
up properly...

> version and found that -current would already have your changes if it
> kept up with NetBSD :-).  The NetBSD version also replaces execl() by
> execve(), presumably to save a few cycles.

To be honest, I was surprised no-one had thought of (or should that be
got round to ?) it before.

> >> Some of these points also apply to popen/pclose, but the FreeBSD already
> >> seems to be correct although unnecessarily unportable.  E.g., it handles
> >> EINTR.
>
> >Out of interest, why does handling EINTR make it unportable?
>
> I meant that handling EINTR helped make it correct.  The old signal
> handling functions make it unportable.

OK, I see what you mean now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

James

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
mail:	jraynard@dial.pipex.com