Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 22:21:58 -0400
From:      Ian Cartwright <ianc@michiganconnect.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Kernel Breaks linux_base?

Hello all,

I have recently (5/12/00) cvsupped FreeBSD-stable to my 4.0-RELEASE box
in the hopes of getting my Sound Blaster Live to work. After making and
compiling my kernel with all the requisite additions (pcm and usb*) and
subtractions (devices I don't have) and booting I have a peculiar
problem. On boot, when linux binary compatibility starts, I get a panic
and the system reboots. No fun! If I start with "linux enable = NO"
everything works fine (except stuff that depends on linux compatibility
of course). If I try to start linux from the command line, I get the
same panic...

I am conteplating a make world, but that may be overkill (and is very
scary for me, being a relative newbie to the deep dark secrets of
FreeBSD)... Any thoughts?

Ian Cartwright
ianc@michiganconnect.com

Where are we going?