Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 05:38:51 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

>But releases are also taken from ongoing branches.  In any case, uname -r
>on my machine now produces:
>
>2.2-STABLE-971004-19:45 PDT
>
>which is explicit in indicating the date and time at which cvsup began
>downloading the sources.  That seems more informative than a code that
>has to be translated into a date.

Well, I would still get rid of the "-STABLE". I would also use Zulu time
and convert it all to a number. Thus

"FreeBSD 2.2 (9710050245)"

However, the date/time stamp should be made when the source is extracted
from the master source and not when YOU get a second or third generation
copy from some distribution point.

On the subject of releases being taken from ongoing branches, I think that
releases deserve special consideration and a simpler form of identification.
Remember that an individual who rebuilds a system from source is slightly
more knowledgable. For someone who simply installs a release, we need to
KISS. If the wrapper on the CD says "2.2.5", that is what they would expect
uname to deliver.

Richard Wackerbarth