Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:05:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      up@3.am
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions re: disklabel for external USB drives

I just got an external USB drive that I want to use for disk-based
backups.  It is important that this drive be useable on different FreeBSD
servers that we have.

I got it working on a test server ok, but I noticed that the sysinstall
utility labeled the device as:

/dev/da0s1d

Since the test server only has an IDE drive, that's fine, but this
external USB drive needs to be able to work on productions servers that
already have SCSI and SAS devices, one of which already uses that label
for its active "/usr" partition.

Is there an easy way to force the device to work as something like:

/dev/da1s1d

on all of the servers, including ones that do not already have a SCSI disk
subsystem and existing /dev/da0 devices?

TIA,

up@3.am							    http://3.am