Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:55:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Holger Kipp <holger.kipp@alogis.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with dc-nics 10,11

Holger Kipp writes:
| I have a little problem with dc10, dc11. I use three quad dc cards,
| so far from dc0 up to dc8 with no problems.
|
| All (dc0 to dc11) are displayed correctly with pciconf and with ifconfig.
| The trouble is with dc10 and dc11 that they don't send any data out and
| also don't react to arp requests etc. - at least using tcpdump won't show
| anything coming in or going out.
| Monitoring from an external system, this is the same. According to the
| blinkinglights on the switch in between (also tried a hub), pings from
| the other machine (or arp-requests if I don't use a permanent entry) etc
| are send to the correct cable.
|
| As everything works from dc0 up to dc9, I'd suspect some sort of internal
| name mismatching (like counting devices hexadecimal (dca) versus decimal
| (dc10)).
|
| This is on an older system (4.6-STABLE). If someone had a similar problem
| and it is now fixed in 4.8-STABLE, please let me know. Couldn't find a PR
| for this...

Considering that I've had 4*4 cards in prior 4.X systems my experience
is that you have a BIOS that is not allocating resources to the
cards after a while.  I run into that before in which the BIOS stop
setting up PCI devices after a certain number or not traversing
all bridges.

Doing a dmesg and looking IRQ allocation is a good starting point.
It's probably bad.

Doug A.