Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 13:14:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@CU-SeeMe.educ.utas.edu.au>
To:        felix@royal.net
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: And now for something completely different

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Aled Treharne wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 1997, Iain Templeton wrote:
> > Ah Welsh, isn't that the language with no vowels :-) ?
> > (Probably a dangerous comment)
> Ah, yes, you're right, that was a very dangerous comment.
>
> In fact, you'll find that the Welsh language has seven vowels (aeiowy) and
> also a few extra letters in the alphabet (ll,ng,ch...). I won't go on
> about how the language has been abused (you've probably heard it all
> before anyway), so I'll hand the soapbox over to someone on this mailing
> list who is more qualified than me to talk about it.

Well that explains why it LOOKS like there aren't any vowels, obviously
the y and w are fairly common...

I don't think that there is any language that hasn't been abused.

> So, I'll sign off with a `G'day, matey!' :)

Close, but prober ocker Australian would just be G'day mate. (No 'y')

Plus you make the vowels so short in some cases, that the words seem to
not have them (I don't know whether that is an Aust/NZ trait, or is common
in most english derivatives).

I won't even start with the NZ jokes.