Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 11:13:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jon Villarreal <jon@grin.net>
To:        Willow <willow@tds.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

You need to add the pseudo-device bpfilter into your kernel config and
recompile.

(from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT in 2.2.6-RELEASE)
#  The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.  Be
#  aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this
#  option.  The number of devices determines the maximum number of
#  simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
#  The `disc' pseudo-device implements a minimal
[...]
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter

Regards,

Jon