Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 07:44:51 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: threads...

Simon Shapiro wrote:
>   - there is name space collisions between libc and libc_r.
>     supposedly libc_r is a full blown replacement for libc (?).
>     if you link with libc_r, libc gets linked as well. since
>     ld assumes startup files (crt0.o and std lib c). order is
>     important to solve some name space problems but this causes
>     other non-fatal problems - like an empty stub for
>     _thread_init()

Use libc_r _instead_ of libc. libc_r is a super-set of libc, so the
name space collisions are not surprising -- they're intended!

You can avoid gcc telling ld to link lib by using -nostdlib.

>   - threads initialization doesn't occurr (_thread_init). there
>     doesn't seem to be an entry on the Construct list for this
>     guy in libc_r. even though I have explicitly called this
>     routine in the application things still don't seem to be
>     setup correctly. Some other missing component ????

If you link correctly, this should not be a problem.

>   - threads seem to get created but their start proc never
>     gets executed - scheduling...
>
>   - signals aren't reliable
>
> Of course the later two problems could hinge on the first.

Probably. If the correct linking doesn't solve your problems, ask
your developer to email me.

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia