Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 01:05:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user management stuff

> 	1. What about a one-char options, i.e. "-u" == "-uid" ?

As much as is required to be unique, but definitely not JUST single
chars!  Yuck, spit, puke.  The person who wrote getopts should be
pithed! :-)

> 	2. Maybe better to have login name not as an option, but
> 	   as a required (single) argument?

That's a reasonable point.  OK.

> # -group	Check that gid also exists under name group - if not, it should
> # 	be added under this name (e.g. group:*:gid:user).  Default is not
> # 	to mess with /etc/group.
>
> 	3. Considering a Current Policy (separate gid for each uid,
> 	   (c) Rodney Grimes; I personally like this approach) how
> 	   can I skip /etc/group modification?

Huh?!  This option was put in explicitly to SUPPORT Rod's options!
Think about it, please. :)

> # 	go to /home/${user} if not overriden in /etc/adduser.cf
> 						 ^^^^^^^^^^
> 	4. "Are you sure in is wise?" :)  I mean the fact that this file
> 	   exists at all.

How else do you specify things like "here's where my skel files live"
or "this should be the default home dir" so you don't have to think
about it all the time?

> 	5. You mean "a single string arg, possibly with a comma separated list
> 	   of GCOS fields in it"?

Right.

> 	6. Is "key" == "logname" or it may be specified as, for example,
> 	   "-uid XXX" or "-realname 'Random J. User'" ?

Right.  I think you should be able to look things up by any field, and
you've got the arguments already standardised, so why not?

> # adduser -exists [key]
>
>  	7. To be able to get an exit status of 0 if "yes" 1 otherwise?

Right, sorry, I got it backwards. :-)

> # adduser -modify -uid 701 -name "Irving Q. Steenbottle"
> #
> # 	Finds uid 701 and changes the name field accordingly, leaving
> # 	other fields unaltered.
>
> 	8. This means priorities of matches? I.e. you doesn't want
> 	   to modify uid if mr. "Irving Q. Steenbottle" is
> 	   there already with uid 700?

No, I mean simply that you should search for uid 701 and, if you find
it, change the name field unilaterally.  Maybe I *want* to have 700
and 701 have the same name, after all? :-)

> 	doing actual start (anyway, tomorrow I'll be busy lurking
> 	aroung looking how to replace a Conner CPF1060S where news
> 	spool lived until an hour ago :(  It finally died,
> 	after 3 days of NCR writing error msgs to the console.)

Bleh! :-(

						Jordan