Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:42:05 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NIC drivers

I was using 2.0.5 at that time (and 2.0 before 2.0.5 was released), but

3c509 driver was for some period of time ahead of FreeBSD releases,
I have transplanted it from later version to support Plug-n-Play mode
and some other minor changes (actually, some of the changes were
going in reverse direction, transplanted into -current from my 2.0.5
development machine).

They key words to fix it are "use the watchdog routine, Luke" :-)

The biggest problem with this driver seems to be that nobody from the
core team is actively using it so when something in the network system
gets changed, this driver gets broken until someone else who is actively
using it notices and fixes that.

-Serge