Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:43:43 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP 9200 SCSI CD-W

Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> I've got one and it runs fine with cdrecord + gcombust (gui frontend for
> cdrecord). Both normal CD-R and CD-RW work.

	I haven't tried any of the gui front ends to cdrecord yet.

> I burnt over 30 CDs in two days. No coasters. (reading from 3 different
> IDE drives)

	I have to admit that I think I've got one coaster.  I'm not sure I
can recover that cd and use the left over.

> One note: The HP 9200 is a relabelled Sony (i think) drive. It won't
> write Mode 2 XA sessions (or something like that). Consequently,
> cdrecord requires some extra options for making multisession disks. Kind
> of a bummer that a nice brand new CD-R drive can't write Mode 2 XA
> sessions, but it's too late for me to easily change it out and the
> missing functionality isn't a big loss for me.
>
> Look at the cdrecord web site for info regarding multisession with Sony
> CD-R drives. The cdrecord web site URL is
> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

	I got a multi-session to burn ( the first session anyways, I haven't
tried another on it yet ) by using the -data arg to cdrecord.  The man
page for cdrecord describes what you are talking about above.  Strange
that a company like HP would relabel a Sony product, go figure :-)

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu