Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:15:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Kingson Gunawan <kingson@excite.com>
Subject:   Re: Help needed with DPT card + Asus M/B

On 25-Feb-98 Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>> >   Unless it is a silly ISA device...
>>
>> True only if the MB allows interrupts to be shared between ISA and PCI,
>> which it should not.  Kingston reports that Win95 works on that MB, with
>> the DPT and all.
>
>   Hmmm, but how does a motherboard know what interupts a ISA card might
> use?  You certainly can't have ISA and PCI devices sharing the IRQ, but
> it
> is up to the operators to make sure it doesn't happen.

Most MB I am familiar with route interrupts from the ISA bus to a PCI-ISA
bridge.  The bridge is programmable and will not pass interrupts form ISA
that it was told not to.

OTOH, I amy be talking about what things should have been.  I think Steve
Passe (amoung others) knows the definite answer here as he has to deal with
it in the APIC code.

>   Win95 often works great in that situation, up until you address the
> rogue ISA device.  Or maybe it doesn't even have a driver installed for
> the rogue device.

Or, the driver knows about some problem with the MB and avoids it or works
around it.  This is why I suggested a call to DPT.  It is a free call and
they know about such intractions better than I do.