Date:      19 May 2002 13:26:30 -0700
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   makeworld worked - my first attempt at this revisited

Some of you may recall the thread recently where I was embarking on my
first makeworld procedure. I had a few problems going from fbsd-4.4r to
-stable. I started over from scratch, this time with 4.5r and ran the
entire process again, and it worked flawlessly! One of the people who
responded to my original message has a web page describing the process
so I followed his instructions and had no problems whatsoever. That is
the site called www.hiltonbsd.com. Thankyou Mr. Hilton.

In a nutshell, these are the steps I followed -
# less /usr/src/UPDATING
# cd /usr/obj/
# chflags -R noschg *
# rm -rf usr     (this didn't exist to begin with)
# ls -la (it was empty before I even started)
# cd /usr/src
# make cleandir && make cleandir
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
# make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
# reboot
# boot -s
# fsck -p
# mount -t ufs -a
# swapon -a
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster -v
# reboot
# cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
# make clean
# make all install clean

After this I had to add my user account back into /etc/passwd, I thought
I'd taken care of that during the mergemaster, but it didn't show up in
/etc/passwd.I'm still a bit confused by the mergemaster screens.
Everthing I've read refers to there being a split view, left and right,
but that's not what I got. I had the old lines and the new lines all in
one view, with +'s and -'s. So I probably messed up on that, but it was
a simple fix after all was said and done.

So, this is just a thankyou to all the responses and help in my first
makeworld. Now I'll do it to another machine here at home, then maybe
I'll do my webserver and firewall boxes. :-)

Regards,
Chip W
www.wiegand.org
chip@wiegand.org