Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:58:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Klaus Werner Krygier <krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system lock-up (SMP, AHC_TAGENABLE, softupdates)

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> System: GigaByte 586-DX, 2xP5-133, 48MB, on-board 7880 SCSI,
>         4GB IBM DCAS-34330W.
> Current as of CTM src-cur 3477 (< 48 hours).
>
> Softupdates enabled on _all_ filesystems: no problem, did
> two make buildworlds/installworld in a row, as long
> as AHC_TAGENABLE is off.
>
> If I enable AHC_TAGENABLE, and push the system a bit (lots
> of FS activity) -> freeze.  Last time it happened was with X,
> so I'd have to do it again in text mode to write down the AHC
> TAG messages...

I have a very similar hardware setup on several machines (Gigabyte
586-DX, 2 x P5-200, 64 MB, on-board 7880 SCSI, several different disks
(2GB, 4GB, 9GB)) and I have the same problems:

If I do a lot of disk activity my computers freeze. Sometimes a SCSI
bus reset seems to be initiated (which I can recogize on the loading
activity of my CD changer). This problem occurs on standard 3.0-SNAP
kernels without softupdates and almost SMP-GENERIC configuration. I
tried several SNAPs, but the problem remained - I have the impression
it has become worse with newe versions :-(. At last I damaged one of
my disks.

My last hope was CAM. Here (3.0CAM-19980712-SNAP) the system does not
freeze completely but becomes very slow on disk access and is also not
usable. One positive aspect: I get kernel messages. Every few seconds
the following message is printed out for ever:

Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
last message repeated 4 times
last message repeated 13 times
last message repeated 30 times
Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
Timedout SCB handled by another timeout

etc.

With older 3.0-SNAPs (e.g. May 97) a SMP system was very stable on my
first board and did not show such effects for almost a year. Because of
other problems and to use new features and improvements I had to upgrade
and have now very instable systems.

Klaus Werner Krygier

| Dr. Klaus Werner Krygier            | Email: krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de |
| Institut für Kernphysik             |                                 |
| Johannes Gutenberg-Universität      | Tel:   +49-6131-39-2960         |
| J.J.Becher-Weg 45                   |        +49-6131-39-5868         |
| D-55099 Mainz                       | Fax:   +49-6131-39-2964         |