Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:45:54 +0000
From:      Chris <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging on wi interfaces

Fernando Schapachnik wrote:

> Hello:
>         Does anybody know is bridging works on wi (WaveLan)
> interfaces?

You cannot do bridging on WaveLan interfaces, but there is a
way that you can work around it that we are now using to good
effect.  I guess the question is--what do you need to do
with it?  If all the boxes that you want to do bridging between
are FreeBSD, then you might try this out.

The way it works for us, is that WaveLan network is configured as
a private internal network, that is used primarily for tunneling.
Once you have this, you can set up ksocket tunnels with netgraph,
and then enable bridging between the tunnels, and the public
interfaces.  Our current setup is only bridging between two boxes,
but in theory, it should work for more.

ngctl -f - <<EOF

mkpeer ep0: bridge lower link0
name ep0:lower bnet0

mkpeer bnet0: ksocket link1 inet/dgram/udp
name bnet0:link1 wltun0
msg wltun0: bind inet/192.168.232.230:10001
msg wltun0: connect inet/192.168.192.238:10001

connect ep0: bnet0: upper link2

msg ep0: setpromisc 1
msg ep0: setautosrc 0

EOF

The drawback to this approach is that you must set the MTU on the
host boxes that are on one end of the bridge.  Since netgraph works
at such a low level, the MTU of the interfaces on the bridge have no
effect.  This also means that IPFW will do little for you as well.
Without an MTU of 1458, the bridge will still work fine, but you
will generate twice as many packets over the wireless link.

Chris