Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:38:23 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving ALTQ out of contrib

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 04:53:46PM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   Hi!
>
>   With the new ifnet KPI, that is now being developed in projects/ifnet,
> the ALTQ will need some tweaking. It is discontinued by initial author
> for a decade now, and it has already experienced direct commits in
> our tree. Thus, I see no good reasons to continue keeping it in contrib.
> In NetBSD they have it in sys/altq.
>
> I'd prefer to move it to sys/net/altq.
>
> Any objections or better ideas?

my first question is what is the expected residual lifetime of altq ?

If it is destined to be removed soon (and probably that is not
unlikely given its unmaintained state, the absence of multiqueue
support etc.) maybe we could live for the next
couple of years just leaving it where it is now and avoid the
repo churn.

If we really plan to relocate the code, I guess the options are

    sys/altq		as in netbsd

    sys/netaltq		this would be an alternative location to
			the above one, justified by the fact that
			we have already a bunch of net* subdirs

    sys/net/altq	as you propose, i guess to stay close to
			the rest of the ifnet code (and perhaps
			as a first step in cleaning up sys/net
			by putting stuff in various subdirs)

In any case my preference would really be to leave it where it is.

cheers
luigi