Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:48:54 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users), deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen), jdc@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: Experiences with CDE for FreeBSD

> Well, the Xinside folks seem to have problems with install scripts...
> The install script that came with their Motif has been totally
> revamped by Jordan by that time, and still, their tarballs suffered
> from some severe oddities (wrong permissions, duplicate files).

Yeah, even there I'm afraid that they totally screwed the prefix
directory handling.  What they shipped was *not* what I gave them, and
the guy who was handling the bundling just weened and patched my
script towards the end there.  Frankly, I think he did it all in way
too much of a hurry - the level of QC was not what it should have
been.

> It looks they had also better passed on CDE for an alpha test...

They sent me a copy which got delayed for a long time in the machinery
and I finally loaded for the first time just last week.  They know
that the CDE installer does need some work, and hopefully they'll give
me a chance to work with them in crafting their next generation
install. :-) They could have avoided some of the Motif PRs they got if
their release engineer had actually used the stuff I sent him in its
original form. :(

						Jordan