Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:19:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch)
Cc:        sln@public.jn.sd.cn, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SunOS and Solaris?

In a previous message, Curt Welch said:
> >  My question is: What's the difference between Sun's SunOS
> >  and Solaris.
>
> customers complained that they decided they would continue
> supporting SunOS and continue producing new versions of SunOS
> to support new Sun hardware.   But other than hardware support

UltraSparcs can not run SunOS 4.1.x. The 4.1.x version is in
support mode only. Solaris 2.5 is a reasonable platform to
use. Yes, it is different from BSD.

> (or at least I think that's how the numbers work).  The "Solaris"
> name actually started being used before the switch to the
> System V based kernel.

Not exactly, it was a retro-active rename for Marketing purposes,
as I stated before.

> As far as the differences between BSD and Systems V, that's
> simple.  System V sucks and BSD doesn't. :)

I do perfer BSD, but SVR4 is light-years ahead of SVR3 and earlier.
Solaris ain't bad, just some of the tools. (ps most notably and the
bizarre tty management).

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370