Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:16:22 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Dan Delaney <dionysos@Dionysia.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If not uw-imap, then WHICH imap?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:23:06PM -0800, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Since the FreeBSD port of uw-imap exclaims that uw-imap has known
> > security problems, and thus does not recommend using it, then my
> > question is, WHICH imapd server do the FreeBSD folks recommend if
> > you don't want to convert ALL of your users' mbox mail folders to
> > maildir or Cyrus formats? Or, is there some reason why we really
> > SHOULD convert to one of those formats?
>
> Courier IMAP server.  -sc

Please read before posting - Courier doesn't support mbox.

To answer Dan's question: Maildir is useful if you want to mount mail
via NFS, and will have to live without reliable file locking.

Personally, I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and install UW-IMAP,
if that's what my users wanted, especially if I was in a relatively
secure environment, say a firewalled network, where the user community
could be regarded as somewhat trustworthy.  Cyrus is a lot of fun, but
you definately have to have the time to enjoy it.  I played with Courier
a bit and it just seemed really ooky, in that the config files I saw
were really just shell scripts to set environment variables that the
imapd would then use.

YMMV, there is no ideal IMAPD.  Perhaps there exists the right
combination of mbox and IMAP Perl modules to cobble one together? :)

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/