Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:22:47 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Jim C <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>, cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routed and public IPs

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:13:04AM -0500, Jim C wrote:
> At 06.18 15.02.00 -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:

> > >A bridge is a network device that operates at layer two of the IP
> > >stack, the link layer. Hubs and switches are the other most common
>
> I thought hubs operated at layer one and switches operated at layer
> two...and of course routers are at layer three.
>
> Just tryin to get the info...

Sorry to add to any confusion, I probably should not have used "hub"
as an example. I usually think of hubs as fairly intelligent
repeaters. That type of device typically knows a thing or two about the
link layer. However, something like a passive hub definately lives its
whole existence on the physical layer. But a "switched hub" obviously
knows all about the link layer.

The term "hub" is used to describe several categories of hardware in
every-day usage.