Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:56:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        rsamuel@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au (Richard Samuel)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Would you find these things useful ?

As Richard Samuel wrote:

> Good, now that I've got that off my chest, would you find either of these
> contributions of value:

Contributions are always welcome!  Hmm, if you promise to maintain the
code and adapt it to the evolving system, they are even most
welcome. :)

> 1)	A Sanyo CD-Rom driver. Works fine, speed is reasonable, no
> 	   sound support ( I reckon if you want sound, buy a walkman ).

Heck, i have no idea about how many of these drives might float
around, and whether it's possible to find at least a second person who
could confirm that it works not only in one occasion -- anyways, it
might be nice to have it.

Do you have it running under 2.1, or under -current?  Since -current
has provisions for devfs, these things must go in yet otherwise.

> 2)	An upgraded 'ft' program for QIC-80 tape. Allows multiple
> 	volumes per tape. Colorado Backup for Win/DOS created volumes
> 	can co-reside on the tape. Bypasses seek error in device driver.
> 	Doesn't support volumes spanning tapes yet, but will the moment
> 	I need to backup something that big.

Please, get in contact with Joe Diehl, joed@freebsd.org.  He's been
the last one who was intending to handle floppy tape issues.

--
cheers, J"org