Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:57:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?

> Hmm, I guess its because we wan't to build our tools etc, with the
> newest version.. This would resolve some (but not all) bootstrap
> problems in the tools...

But you would anyway.  Once you've done the bootstrap, the new tools
are installed and leaving the binaries in the tree won't change a
thing - everything subsequent will still be linked with the new copies.

Like I said, I think there's no logical reason at all for this.

Furthermore, here's my make world time for the standard tree:

     6366.76 real      4213.03 user       711.55 sys

And for a tree which has make depend and make all combined:

     6189.28 real      4215.11 user       706.74 sys

A noticable difference for the same effect.

						Jordan