Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:59:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Non-executable mappings now in NetBSD too

 --- Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org> wrote:

> The OpenBSD work on tightening up read/write/exec memory permissions
> looks interesting, but I wonder what impact it has on
> JIT technologies; do the current Java VMs or other incremental
> compilation engines require write+exec?

I haven't ever seen the source code for Java but I wouldn't think there is any
problem. Bytecode is not really executable, and the java program doesn't need
to modify itself either.

The OpenBSD people reported only Emacs got broken due to things they shouldn't
do, and they found a workaround anyways. If perl didn't break, I think Java
will survive too.

cheers,

    Pedro.