Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:52:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> Bad idea. :)  1 terabyte requires 1539 CD-Rs, and it will take 32 days
> of continuous operation (assuming one 2x speed burner) to burn them.
> I don't think anyone makes thousand-disc changers, so one would
> probably have to buy a robot to handle them.  Methinks you'd wear the
> drives (both readers and burners) out very quickly, too.

JVC makes a 600 disk changer.

You'd only need 3 of them :)

I have no idea how expensive they would be though.

It could be that a half a dozen such changers would be more effective than
any muddling with disks.  Once the media is burned it shelf life is fairly
long and in an emergency you can manually load from any desktop peecee.

Granted, making sure you filled dieks to capacity and had correct indexes
would be the difficult part but it is an option, and probably cheaper than
DLT when you consider media costs.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |