Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 20:44:13 +0100
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@peterk.org>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gpart, modified label does not show up in /dev/gpt.

Peter schreef:

>>> I was going to say if you mount /dev/da0p? its /dev/gpt/label
>>> disappears,
>>> and since all the partition are mounted already [/dev/gpt/ is empty],
>>> then
>>> /dev/gpt is maybe also removed.......but /dev/gpt/bootpart is not
>>> mounted
>>> and should still show up.
>>>

>>> When you ran the 'gpart' commands, did you set the sysctl geom debug
>>> variable? [sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=17]
>>> After the reboot, are the labels still there? [gpart list | grep label]
>>>
>>> ]Peter[
>>>
>> I placed some other disk in (for the zfs pool)
>> Now i have /dev/gpt/bootpart, but not the labels for swap and /
>> I did not use the sysctl value.
>>
>> And yes the labels are stil in place.
>>
>> test# cd /dev/gpt
>> test# ls -al
>> total 1
>> dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel          512 Dec 23 20:02 .
>> dr-xr-xr-x  10 root  wheel          512 Dec 23 21:02 ..
>> crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0, 123 Dec 23 20:02 bootpart
>> test# gpart list | grep label
>>      label: bootpart
>>      label: rootpart
>>      label: swap
>> test#
>>
>> I will try the debugflag option.
>> But it should not be nessacary i guess.
>>
>> thanks
>> regards
>> Johan
>>
> If you have already mounted a /dev/da0p?, its label is removed from
> /dev/gpt - 'bootpart' is never mounted, that is why it's label remains.
> you just have to change /etc/fstab to the /dev/gpt/labels and then they
> will remain and get mounted - Or boot from a DVD, don't mount anything and
> you'll see the labels.
>
> ie:
> If you mount '/dev/da0p2'as '/' then '/dev/gpt/rootpart' will no longer be
> available, same goes for swap and everything else.  If you mount
> 'dev/gpt/rootpart' as '/', the you'll have both '/dev/da0p2' and
> '/dev/gpt/bootpart'
>
> ]Peter[

Thanks that solved it. !!
because i did not see them in /dev/gpt i did not change the /etc/fstab
file to the appropiate config.
I thought if they are not there, then i can not use them.
Wrong assumption !!!
I edited /etc/fstab to mount /dev/gpt/rootpart on / and /dev/gpt/swap on
swap, and the machine booted like it should.
Also the gpt entries are now there!

Thanks again!

Merry cristmas !!!

regards