Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:04:44 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

Hi,

>A Centronics connector is NOT a 50pin connector.  They were 36? pin
>connectors????  The OLD SCSI connector LOOKS like a Centronics connector,
>but it's 50 pins!

boy, did I ever open a can o' worms!  how about "50 pin centronics-style"?
some documents refer to it as a "telco connector", as it is commonly
used in the telephone industry.  The SCSI-I document refers to it
as "Shielded connector, alternative 2".  They then reference
"FCC document Part 68 Subpart F 68.500".  That would really clear
things up when placing an order with JDR...

Whether technically right or wrong, these are terms that many vendors
use to sell their products.  I think the only thing that will please
everyone would be a section that discusses the "specification"
names along with the various "slang" terms that have evolved to
describe each!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD