Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing an X app

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Michael Richards wrote:

> I am going to write an X app, but I don't know what to use. Is XLib common?
> I have access to documentation for it. Does anyone know where I can get XLib
> for freebsd?

I just got done with a class on X windows programming. Unfortunately it
used Motif, which is a commercial widget set.  If I had the diskspace I
would have bought Motif from Xi Graphics (www.xig.com).

> If XLib is not the standard, what is?

XLib is the low-level C library interface to X.  It's too rudimentary for
standard applications programming.  You really want to talk with a widget
set, such as the Athena set provided with XFree86, Motif, or other free
widget sets available.

I worked with the book ``The X Window System: Programming and Applications
with Xt, OSF Motif Edition'' by Douglas Young.  It lacks in some places in
detail, thus I also have ``X and Motif Quick Reference Guide, Second
Edition'' by Randi Rost.  The ISBN for the first is 0-13-123803-5 and the
latter is 1-5558-118-8.  You should be able to get these through your
local college bookstore.

The class I took lectured directly from the Young text, so it was a
no-brainer for the most part. :-)

Hope this helps and enjoy programming X -- the Motif set is
well-programmed and, except for the poor availability in the FreeBSD
community at-large, is a great widget set to work with.  There's always
statically linking :)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo