Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:45:02 +0300
From:      Stelios Sfakianakis <ssfak@ics.forth.gr>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenOffice 1.0.1 problems

Hi,
I downloaded and installed the openoffice 1.0.1, uninstalling the
previous 1.0.0 version, but now I am facing stange crashes.
First of all, I installed it like this:

$> cd /usr/ports/packages/All
$> wget http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/openoffice-1.0.1.tgz
$> portinstall -PP openoffice

then as the message says I exited X, started it again, and as common
user I did:

$> cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice
$> make install-user

After following the questions, choosing the workstation installation
option and installation directory (/home/stelios/OpenOffice.org1.0.1),
what I finally get is a crash:

Segmentation fault
*** Error code 139 (ignored)

The workstation installation has been done though and I can run:

$> /home/stelios/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/soffice test.sxw

where test.sxw was an old file edited with the previous version of
openoffice. The problem is that if I make a change and try to save my
work what I get is the following message:
"Error saving the document. The operation started under an invalid
parameter"

I have also some test M$ Word documents but these can not even be
opened. Now the message is "An unrecoverable error has occurred"

I cannot imagine what the problem may be. I tried to install the
previous version but it seems that the problems remain. Also note that
although it is stated in your homepage that the package depends on
XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_1 when I tried to install it I got a complaint
about XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_2 and I had to upgrade that also. So now I
have:

$> pkg_info -r openoffice-1.0.1
Information for openoffice-1.0.1:

Depends on:
~        imake-4.2.0_1
~        freetype2-2.1.2
~        XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_2

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks & Best regards

Stelios Sfakianakis
- --
"Right now, CORBA *is* the future of middleware. I'm not aware of any
other middleware that would come even close in portability, platform
support, features, performance, or multi-vendor support. It will be a
minimum of six or seven years before any other middleware platform
will be able to match that."
~       --- Michi Henning in news:comp.object.corba, 28/06/2002