Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:07:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        willvito@niia.net (Bill Vitaniemi)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD questions....

Bill Vitaniemi stands accused of saying:

> To the people with the answers...

Hmm, lots of questions 8)

> DOS or UNIX. (Discovered that the unix partion must be below 1M or it just
> won't boot to Unix. Didn't see anything about this in the documentation
> anywhere.) As far as Unix, everything I've learned has been from one of two

Believe so.  It's common PC knowledge at any rate.  (512M, not 1M 8)

> books (Unix Administration by Garth, Nemeth, etc. and the other book is the
> O'reilly book with the armadillo on the cover) or by trial and fire. Neither
> of the books are very BSD specific though. There isn't a whole lot about
> initially configuring a new machine in any documentation I've seen.

Mostly because every vendor has their own ideas about that aspect.

> One
> problem I have is on booting my experimental machine is I see some lines
> that say something like..
>
> myname.my.domain: bad value

Your 'hostname=' setting in /etc/sysconfig is bad.

> starting routing daemons:
> standard daemons:cron, printer, sendmail (myname...) does not seem to exist!:

sendmail can't find any reference to an address associate with "myname...".
You will have to fix /etc/sysconfig and /etc/hosts.

> Even so, I still need to understand why the error. The is also another error
> that says something about the router value being bad just before the above
> lines. After getting BSD configured, then it's off to configuring x-windows.

Possibly also name-resolution based.

>    Another problem I have (on my online machine) is that it appears that the
> hard drive is going to sleep after awhile. If the machine has been sitting
> awhile and I then go to do something on it, I hear the hard drive wind up.
> Have been getting "seek errors" at the same time. I'm assuming they are
> related.

Yes.  You have a 'green' HDD.  There was a workaround for this discussed a
little while back - Brett Glass sorted it out.  (Brett, want to talk this
guy through it?)

>    Just yesterday, when I exited x-windows, my monitor just went blank. If I
> blindly typed in startx, x-windows would start up. But same blank screen
> everytime I exited x-windows. The only way I found out of it was to just
> crash the machine. Any ideas on this one.

Sounds like the X server failed to correctly restore the video settings.
You wouldn't be using an ET4000-based video card, now would you?

>    On my experimental machine, I attempted to put another small hard drive
> on it just so I could do some playing with file systems and multiple hard
> drives under BSD. However, I can't seem to get BSD to give me usable space
> on it when I go and create a partition on it. Both of my books discuss
> adding hard drives but only SCSI and not IDE.

Same principles.  Adding a disk to a FreeBSD is unhappily painful at the
moment - I believe that you can generally get away with using
/stand/sysinstall and the 'write' options in the slice and partition editors.