Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:28:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, mrl@teleport.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When is 2.2 Estimated to be released?

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Uh, what exactly would 2.2 have, then, if none of the planned major
> features made it in?
>
> Something like that should be called 2.1.1, not 2.2.0, IMO...

At least it would have the improved VM code, Paul's new cool malloc(),
better Linux emulation, and a newer ports collection.  Even with no other
features, this is at least deserving of 2.1.5, if not 2.2.0.  Also,
remember that -current has been a separate branch of the tree, with many
improvements stretching back to six months before 2.1.0-RELEASE!

Or we could do like Microsoft and wantonly bump version numbers at will.
I know, let's call it FreeBSD 4.0 to keep it in version parity with
Windows 95..  ;-)  Recent MS examples:  Office 95 (all programs were
bumped to 7.0, even though Word was 6.0 and Powerpoint was 4.0 formerly),
and Visual C++ (which went from 2.2 to 4.0 to keep it in parity with
MFC)..  The point I'm trying to make is that version numbers are
ultimately arbitrary; I think it would be foolish to bump it up to
3.0-RELEASE if we didn't add any major features, but there's nothing
stopping us.  2.2-RELEASE sounds perfectly fine.

---Jake