Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 13:18:05 -0700
From:      Hiten Pandya <hmp@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/39214: No my(4) man page

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:56:37PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Oh, we're doing *real* nitpicks?  Well then, I might as well chime in
> here then!  Below I've listed several comments.
>

> - My(4) at the top.  This should be MY like many (if not all) of our
> driver manual pages (e.g: dc, fxp, miibus, smapi, etc.).
>
> - Can we rephrase under NAME?  Perhaps PCI Ethernet Driver?  It sounds
> better when read aloud.

	Ok, this is just the stupid ascii text copy is not updated, my
	fault again.  I really need to get some sleep;  been working on
	man pages and Problem Reports since yesterday without sleep.

> - Something must not have parsed correctly under DESCRIPTION:
> The driver provides ...
> Could you double check that please?  I would rather it say something
> like The .Nm driver provides ... (with applicable spaces of course).

	Done.

> - Under AUTHORS you have 'Myson Technology.' but in NAME you have 'Myson
> Technologies', and I'm going to assume that the 'Technologies' is the
> correct one.

	Myson Technology is the right one.

> - Under DESCRIPTION you could put something like:
>
> The
> .Nm
> driver will probe for a Myson chip, check the PCI vendor and device IDs
> against our list of supported devices, and return a device name if we find a match.
> If a device is located
>
> [ ... snip ...]

	Tom, this stuff is implementation details which are unwated.
	Well, maybe I could put it in my(4) IMPLEMENTATION NOTES, but I
	highly doubt it will be of use to anyone since these steps are
	taken by just about any network driver, and should go to a more
	generic place.

> - Another thing you could do, to expand on the page a
> little bit is add a .Sh FILES section and list the two files:
>
> .Pa /usr/src/sys/dev/my/if_my.c
> and
> .Pa /usr/src/sys/dev/my/if_myreg.h
>
> and add a small description of them.

	Ok, a FILES section sounds a like a good idea. 8-)

> - ifmedia (used in the above list) could use a manual page, I've got a
> WIP for this.  Actually, I have many WIPs, but I need time to get them
> reviewed before the patches are applied.

	Send 'em over to me.  Some people can't thank me enough for my
	delegation skills. 8-)

> - This email was not ment to be so long...

	Cheers!

	  -- Hiten (hmp@FreeBSD.ORG)