Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:29:08 -0700
From:      "Chuck T." <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, dunkelkammer@gmx.de
Subject:   Re: input from /dev/audio broken ?

>I'd be happy if I heard _anything_. ;)

I have made some progress.  It turns out that input from /dev/audio *WAS*
broken in 4.4R (as documented in CVS and the source for feeder.c). It
returns native device audio, not mulaw.  I guess it worked if your device
was natively mulaw which my sb AWE32 certainly isn't.  It's fixed in 4.6,
but for some reason you can no longer cat /dev/audio to /dev/audio.  Once I
tried speakfreely under 4.6 the audio worked somewhat.

Since I only have a virgin install of 4.6 I've returned my focus to 4.4.  I
was finally able to the audio to work with 4.4 by using /dev/dspW instead of
/dev/audio. My CCFLAGS is set as follows:
--- snip ---
CCFLAGS = -DM_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DAUDIO_BLOCKING -DIN_AUDIO_DEV=\"/dev/dspW\"
-DOUT_AUDIO_DEV=\"/dev/dspW\" -DNEEDED_LINEAR
--- snip ---

Speakfreely now sends good audio in both directions.  It still not working
completely correctly, but I'm getting closer.  The biggest problem (other
than device busys) is the sound buffer flushing code isn't working
correctly.  When I hit the space bar it sends a bunch of audio that was
captured while I was "paused".