Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS large directory performance

:The new code is interesting; it will be enlightening to
:see it's real world performance.  I'd definitely suggest
:using a zone for the allocations, however.
:
:FWIW: I guess if you are having problems with mail queue
:perofrmance, you are running postfix or qmail or something,
:instead of sendmail, with the mail queue divisions, or with
:my and David Wolfskill's per-domain mail queue patches?
:
:-- Terry

    No problems at Backplane.  I was speaking historically.  The
    multi-queue stuff certainly helps, I hacked up a multi-queue
    sendmail setup at BEST Internet, but it still wasn't perfect.  It just
    changed O(X^2) to O(Y * [X/Y]^2) (e.g. try with X=1000 and Y=10).
    A definitely improvement, but Ian's stuff can get it down to O(Y) for
    all intents and purposes.

    There is still sheer drop in regards to scaling Ian's solution after
    a directory grows past a few hundred thousand files, but I'm not too
    worried about it.  The memory use ratio is good enough that that adding a
    little memory to a machine lets you pile on a whole bunch more files
    in the hash solution.

					    -Matt