Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:13:29 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <me@anand.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   WAN cards in FreeBSD

We're a small ISP in Kenya. Currently we only offer dial-in services with
Livingston PM's. Now, we want to start offering digital leased lines to
customers, as there's a need for them. We have been considering 2
possibilities:

1. Use dedicated hardware that will allow us to connect multiple 64K
digital lines into one box. Perhaps some cisco product.

2. Use a PC with WAN cards in it, like those from Sangoma or ETINC. This
would be a cheaper option, since we can use 486's and the cards are not too
expensive (with Sangoma we would save on DTU costs as well).

Is there anyone on the list who is using these cards, and if so, what is
their experience. do they perform well? and ease of use? On the other hand,
if there is anyone using dedicated hardware (eg. cisco), what is your
experience?.

Pointers to any relevant websites/documentation would be appreciated.

PS. All the customers would be using 64K for now, since we don't yet have
T1/E1 lines in Kenya. Perhaps in the coming months, we may get those too,
if the phone compnay starts to offer higher speeds.

Thanks,

--
Anand