Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:47:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: PATCH: small, syntax changes for devfs

> >> I prefer a flat namespace.
>
> >Why?
>
> - it's easier to search.
> - existing programs depend on it.
> - it forces you to choose short unambiguous names in a consistent way.
>   This is most important for tty names.
>
> I think a layered namespace would need to have zillions of links to
> a flat namespace to avoid these problems.

Counterexamples:

1)	/dev/pty/000 (a cloning pty device driver instead of fixed
	allocation and a kernel rebuild).

2)	A physical device with a changer with a DOS partition table
	on one of the spindles, with an extended partition on one
	of the partitions with a BSD disklabel on one of the
	extended partitions...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---