Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 11:38:29 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why so many ways to stay in sync?

>    With sup, you can wipe out portions of your archive, sup will see that,
>    and rebuild it for you.  Ctm won't do that, if you wipe some of it out,
>    you have to start from scratch and rebuild it all.
>
> CVS client/server will do that, though.  (As does ctm of cvs if you
> are willing to pay the cost of keeping a local repository.)

Except what if what you are replicating is the CVS repository.  CTM
can't restore my repository if I do any of the following:
1) Accidentally/purposefully delete some portions of CVS repository
2) Only have a desire for certain 'parts' of the respository w/out
   needing everything.
3) Modify portions of my repository

The last one deserves some mention.  Often, when I want to do some
serious CVS munging on the tree, I will do it on my box at home with my
remote CVS repository to test it out before doing the same operations on
freefall.  With sup, I'm guaranteed to get the 'exact' same state of the
files that exist on freefall.

CTM assumes the files you are mirroring will *never* be modified
locally.  There are some hacks that allow you to 'move' unmodified
soures out of the way which will be used, but as a whole in assumes no
modifications will occur.

For most folks this is acceptable, but for me it's not.

>    Sup compares what you
>    have with what its trying to maintain, and rebuilds intelligently,
>
> CVS client/server will do this too.

I've been using CVS client/server for as long as it's been released
publically, and I hacked SUP to use compression, so I know a little bit
about the problems.  Neither of the solutions are the 'best', but *I*
find that sup'ing the CVS repository is a *much* better solution for the
way I do development.  RCVS is simply too slow, and too often I'm either
off the net or my link is so slow as to be unusable.

For those systems (laptop) I actually sup whatever portion of the CVS
repository I'm working with at the time onto the box, so I have local
access to the source history, logs, and can immediately see what's been
changed.  This is *very* nice to have, and RCVS simply does work for me
when I'm on the airplane. :)

And, CTM won't work either since I often use CVS when on the airplane to
keep track of my source.  So, when I come back from my trip, I dump out
my log files, re-sup my repository and magically I can create a patch
files against the 'stock' sources and what I've changed, plus I have my
kept logfiles so I can create a log message for my patch.

CTM is *very* nice for most people, and I applaud PHK for writing.  But,
it isn't *yet* the end-all/be-all solution.  I'm still pining for a
version of CVS that incorporates automatic mirrored repositories, which
would be the *best* solution for me.  That way, I could work off-line,
and then once I *needed* to commit CVS would automatically 'update' my
local repository, guarantee that I'm OK to commit, and then go.  The
best of both worlds. :)

Nate