Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 12:10:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Second appeal for sup, CTM, mail and www servers. Please help! (fwd)

> >From: Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
> >Stupid question:  Is this just a matter of "donated machine" or
> >is it more than that (bandwidth) too?  Would another machine next
> >door to freefall be a valid approach?  In particular, freely speaking
> >for some of us (:-), I'd say many of us would be willing to chip in,
> >say, $20 to $100 (each!) towards a dedicated machine.  Would this
> >approach work to give freefall a buddy?
>
> Here here!  I'd be willing to "chip" in :-)
>
> Regards,

I would suspect bandwidth is a problem, as well.  I have most of the pieces
I need here to put together a minimal "dedicated to FreeBSD" box - alls I
needs to do is go buy an AMD 486DX4/120 and generic motherboard for about
$200 and I could offer a box with 16MB RAM, 2 (3?) x 2GB disk, 1542CF
controller, etc. just for FreeBSD use.

I think that if enough well-connected people did this, distributing the
load, it wouldn't be bad on any one particular site.

My particular problem is that I do not have the time right now to go and
coordinate a serious effort to configure the machine.  I have an FTP server
set up and configured, and a SUP server mostly set up and configured, and I
wouldn't mind hosting a few other things.  But it takes time that I do not
have (particularly these next two weeks).  If anybody who is familiar with
all of this stuff, wants to help, has some time to donate, but doesn't have
the hardware or connectivity - if you would like to help me out, drop me
a line.  I have the hardware, the connectivity, the familiarity - but not
the time  :-(  so there is an opportunity for a cooperative venture.

... Joe