Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:05:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, David Langford wrote:

> To be honest I have always thought that a hypemail interface to the FreeBSD
> mail archives would be more usefull that the current search engine.....
>
> Most of the time (for me) that subjects lines are usefull enough for searches
> and (usaually) that articels back in 1995 dont really pertain to what I had
> been looking for even though they filter to the top.

I'm currently working on an overhaul of the mailing list archives
and will have several prototypes up for evaluation in the next
month or so.  The prototypes will implement a couple different
methods for date control, the best will then become standard
equipment.  Retrieval by thread will follow; I have the basic
mechanism worked out, but only partially implemented at this
point.

Two elements in hypermail, threading and date sorting, are good
in principle but the overall implementation is clumsy and doesn't
scale well.  The current interface to the FreeBSD mailing list
archives scales nicely, but is currently missing these features.

-john