Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:26:59 -0800
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        Ed Terry <edterry@computer.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mail server

> Any attempt to send email while logged into the NT domain, whether by
> direct network connection or remote dialup connection, will fail if the
> email "FROM" field contains a non-domain user id.

It's probably best to *not* defeat this configuration -
allowing 3rd-party email relay is an open invitation for
SPAMmers to abuse your system and your bandwidth, and
you can be certain that as soon as you open your mail
server to 3rd party relay that you WILL be targeted and
abused by SPAMmers.

> Eudora  reports the following error message:
>
> "Can't send to 'anyuser@any.com'. The server gives this reason: '571
> <anyuser@any.com> ... Sorry, we do not relay'. "
>
> Our system administrator has been unable and/or unwilling to find the
> configuration parameters that control this blocking of non-domain based
> return addresses.

The best solution would be to configure your system to allow
relay by a restricted set of IP addresses, or (best solution)
configure everybody's e-mail clients to use "From:" addresses
within one of your e-mail domains.

For information on configuring sendmail with an eye to
managing the 3rd-party relay problem, check out the material
available at http://www.sendmail.org

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com