Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:19:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on anyone here, but if the
> ports stuff was set up to be less intertwingled with the base system,
> this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Doesn't something seem very wrong with saying "Ok, we're going to
have Tcl in the base system, but no applications are allowed to
use it."?

For all the arguments about trying to keep diskspace
requirements, etc. low for the sake of people running "jelly-bean
486s", this "We want Tcl, but you can't use it; you have to get a
duplicate copy from ports" seems a tad ...hypocritical.

To say the ports system should (dynamically?) determine if the
base system's Tcl is useable is one thing, but to say the ports
system should never use the base system (Tcl being the specific
part of the base system under discussion) is another.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk