Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:38:55 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

> Frankly my interest in developing (as in *using*) Java utilities
> for FreeBSD is much abated by the lack of a respectable Java
> environment for FreeBSD.  This is not intended as a disparagement of
> the FreeBSD JDK -- but I think everyone understands that it performs
> quite poorly.

Agreed.  However, it doesn't perform *that* much worse than the Solaris
port from my experience.  (I'm comparing a P166 and a PII-300 to an
UltraSparc1-140 and an UltraSparc2-300).

> Reflection on this state provides occasion for me to ask the general
> audience: Is there hope for a competent Java environment on FreeBSD in
> the future, and if so from whence does it come?

My experience with the IDE's on Win32 have made me stick with
FreeBSD/JDK/Make, which works very well.  Yes, compiles are slower, but
the dependency ability on the IDE's doesn't work at all, so you end up
making the entire project everytime anyway, so Make works well for us.
That and the fact that *nix is so much more stable than Win32 means I'm
much more productive allows me employer to support this decision.

> On Solaris, JDK 1.2 ships with Symantec JIT, but I don't think the
> JavaSoft non-comm source distribution will include any JIT, will it?

AFAIK, the Symantec JIT is *ONLY* used on Win32, and not on Solaris.  At
least my experience with the Solaris JIT shows that it does speed things
up, but not that significantly.

> If not, then the only hope of respectable JIT in a JavaSoft-derived
> FreeBSD platform is an independent, novel, implementation.

I think this is indeed the case.

> Kaffe is very close, but *most* people with skill and interest are
> prohibited from contributing, since you can't touch it if you have
> seen the JDK source code (at least according to the most recent
> word on the subject I have from Mehlitz).

Who is Mehlitz?

Nate