Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:18:45 +1100 (EST)
From:      callum.gibson@db.com
To:        bakul@bitblocks.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org
Subject:   Re: Missing PT_READ_U

bakul@bitblocks.com writes:
}Julian Elischer's diff as applied to the 4.5-RELEASE included
}below.  With this change ups-3.37-beta4 compiled unchanged.
}
}But note that you still can't change any registers.  If
}PT_WRITE_U is added back to the FreeBSD-4.x branch, no change
}is necessary to ups.  So how about it, Peter Wemm?

I'm actually getting crashes in ups (on 4.5, compiled on 4.4) whenever the
debugged program receives a signal. I assume putting back PT_READ_U
will be sufficient to fix this?

}The other alternative is to change ups to understand
}PT_{SET,GET}{REGS,FPREGS} -- this would be needed for
}FreeBSD-5 in any case.  But this is not a quick change as ups
}uses PTRACE_{PEEK,POKE}USER for dealing with registers and
}signals and these need to be replaced something more
}discriminating.  I took a quick look at it but then got
}distracted.  Also, not every arch. has separate FP regs and I
}didn't look deep enough in ups to figure out how to add
}machine dependent code like this.

Hopefully some enterprising young programmer in the ups camp will be
able to help out (when an alternate interface exists - is it in -current
now?). Unfortunately, I don't have knowledge to hack inside ups to that
degree.

Callum Gibson                               callum.gibson@db.com
Global Markets IT, Deutsche Bank, Australia       61 2 9258 1620
### The opinions in this message are mine and not Deutsche's ###